What is a Scarifier? And its utilities for the garden
Ideal for maintaining your lawn and affording yourself a beautiful lawn at a lower cost, the scarifier is the perfect tool to promote lawn growth, removing parasitic elements and aerating the soil. Thus ventilated, the lawn is in better condition to receive the beneficial effects of the sun's rays and rainwater, the ideal cocktail for a lawn worthy of the most beautiful parks. Let's take a look at the features of this handy tool and discover our tips for choosing the right model.
What is a scarifier?
The scarifier is a gardening tool relatively unknown to individuals. However, it contributes to the maintenance of the lawn and to favor its good growth, removing the upper layers and eliminating certain parasitic elements such as weeds, mosses and lichens. By its cutting action, the scarifier allows the sun and water to penetrate better into the lawn, the two ingredients necessary for its good development.
In short, if the scarifier is a great forgotten by private gardeners, it is still your ally to get a beautiful, elegant and harmonious lawn.
The operation of this machine is relatively simple. It has a roller equipped with teeth, knives or claws. When you pass this scarifier over your lawn, the roller tears off the layer of grass that prevents good regrowth and natural growth. Weeds, trimmings and moss that hinder the lawn are removed. They are then picked up at the device's collection box or you'll have to pick them up yourself if your scarifier isn't equipped with one.
This practical tool should be spent in spring and autumn, which are the two key seasons for lawns and for vegetation in general. Remember to equip yourself with goggles, gloves and noise-canceling headphones. In fact, the scarifier is a noisy machine and can project elements that can be dangerous to the eyes and face.
How to choose your scarifier?
To choose your scarifier, these are the criteria that we recommend you take into account.
Types of Scarifiers
There are three types of scarifiers: the manual model, the electric model and the thermal model.
- The manual scarifier - this machine is the least expensive, but it is only suitable for very small gardens. In fact, the use is completely manual, so it quickly runs out on large surfaces and uneven or irregular terrain.
- The electric scarifier - this model is the most common, because it is the lightest, the easiest to use and maintain, but it is also very efficient and comfortable. If it is suitable for the maintenance of large gardens, it will be essential to provide a connection and a corresponding electrical cable, since it only works connected to the electrical network. In addition, these are noisy machines that require hearing protection. Count at least 1000 to 1800 W for a large area.
- The thermal scarifier: for gardens of more than 800 m², the thermal model is the most suitable. These machines are actually very powerful and pleasant to use, but they require more maintenance. They are also heavier and can be difficult to maneuver in tight corners or uneven terrain.
The way to cut
You can opt for a claw scarifier or a blade machine.
- The claws, made of metal or plastic, only remove the surface layer of the lawn to preserve the deep layer. It is, therefore, a smoother and less harmful maintenance for the lawn.
- Sharp blades are more effective because they allow the lawn to be well ventilated. Opt for hardened steel knives for optimal durability and prefer a model with as many blades as possible. The best are 48.
The collection box
This tray is an option that is not mounted on all scarifiers. However, it is advisable to invest in this purchase, because it will save you from having to collect the harvest doing it for you. In addition, to avoid multiplying round trips, he prefers a model of at least 50 liters capacity.
The working method
A scarifier should treat the surface topsoil and not work in depth. Therefore, we recommend that you avoid devices with more than 2.5 cm deep, or that the blades of the machine are interchangeable to use it as a floor aerator.